Sunday, May 30, 2010

Rediffusion

Cable Radio anyone??
Do you believe there was once a time not too long ago we used to have radio service by cable that you have to pays a monthly fee like how we have satellite TV now....Yes it is a fact, I had a tough time trying to convince some of my younger friends that we used to have cable radio calls REDIFFUSION. Rediffusion operates two stations,one in chinese and the other in english language starting from 6am thru 12am.


The set up is something like the telephone services, you pays and initial RM36 then the technician will set up a cabled wooden speaker box about the size of 12" X 12" with a switch like our fan switch. When you turns left it is the Chinese programme, when you turns the knob right it is the English programme, the volume is also controlled by this switch, I thinks the monthly fees is about RM6, but I not not too sure...




Every mornings it serves as our alarm clock, broadcasting the national anthem loudly at exactly 6am every day without miss. So we never overslept, never late for school. So much information & entertainments coming from from this little wooden box, made in the United Kingdom (I thinks)

Back to the present, my friends says who would pays for radio services when you have so many free to air station. Why do people now pays for satellite TV? I asked. Well........ times are different and our needs are different.

I still remember Lee Tai Soh(not too sure how to spell his name), the one man story teller who can makes people sit next to the speaker for 30 minutes everyday listening to him telling stories. The way he narrate a ghost story will scare the sh.t out off my sister every times. He is like the Orson Welles of Malaysia. I always wonder what he looks like or what happens to him. How I miss listening to all his stories, be it mystery, ghost or even journey to the west. I couldn't find anything on this remarkable man on the web. Can anyone enlightens me??Another great personality from Rediffusion is none other than the Voice of Malaysia Mr. Patrick Teoh.

Well you might asks me what happens to Rediffusion?? They changed to RediFM and later to 9.88fm, yes they evolved to the most popular Chinese radio station in Malaysia..Do the DJ now knows or even heard of this Mr Lee Tai Soh....

Writing this brings me back to my wonderful childhood memories, life was so simple back then. to those young reader of this post, treasure your youth don't waste your precious times, try to enjoy a simple life....it will be gone before you can grasps it. let live with no regrets......


http://www.rediffusion.info/Malaya/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Welles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Teoh

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this it brought back memories for me too, though we had ours in the UK not in Malaysia.

    I was fortunate enough to live in Johor Bahru in the late sixties and reading this brought back memories of that time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://ourstory.asia1.com.sg/neatstuff/lifestyle/daisoh4.html

    "MR STORYTELLER" Lee Dai Soh died of a heart attack while waiting to see a doctor.

    ReplyDelete